About Me

My photo
I am a wife and mother. I am Catholic. Over the past several years, I have found myself becoming a more "liberal" thinker. Not agreeing with many conservative policies, legislation, and decisions makes me neither "unAmerican" nor "unpatriotic". I find it pathetically laughable that individuals are placing the blame for the declining moral climate of our country on gay marriage. I believe that the No Child Left Behind Act is completely unrealistic and destructive to our already weakening public education system. I believe that education should be a privilege rather than a right. I believe in saying ma'am and sir. I believe in saying please, thank you, and you're welcome. I believe in tipping, and tipping well. I do not believe in using the Bible as a means to persecute and discriminate against others. I believe the pen is mightier than the sword. I believe that we should be teaching our youth the dangers of unprotected and unsafe sex, not shielding them from reality. I believe that brunettes have more fun! I believe that LSU in the greatest school in the world - Geaux Tigers :)

Monday, July 28, 2008

back to school, back to school

Wow..so much for me updating my blog regularly :) Thanks, Wil, for calling me out and motivating me to write.

Justin, Sean and I spent the weekend in Charleston with Jess and Wil. We had a really great time - just relaxing, hanging out with friends, and eating some good food. Justin took the Praxis Exam Saturday morning for Business Education. For those who don't know, that's the teacher certification exam. Texas has their own version of teacher cert. tests, but most states use the Praxis. I have to take the Praxis before Aug. 2009. SC accepted my Texas scores for three years, so I better get on the ball and register.

For those of you close to me, you know I've struggled with deciding in what area I want to complete my Master's degree. I've begun three different Master's programs: criminology, educational administration, and educational counseling. I've definitely decided to pursue the public education route - for me personally, the job security and the fact that I really love what I do is impossible to ignore. After observing numerous assistant principals and counselors and speaking with both sets, I've decided to resume my Master's in educational admin. in the spring of '09. I do think I have the compassion that guidance requires, but I also possess the "tough love" that I firmly believe high school students need in a principal. And, to be frank, the money that principals make here is insane. I would START at twice my teaching salary. Luckily, the University of South Carolina has a distance education program. This will allow me to take my classes online, and I will only have to actually go into Columbia three Saturdays a semester - for an intro. meeting, the midterms, and the finals. My plan is to complete the program in a year and half. Beaufort has a difficult time finding administrators, so they will actually place you in an admin. position before you have completed the program. Not that I'm in a hurry to quit teaching, but I'll keep my options open. The application deadline for spring isn't until November, but I'd like to go ahead and complete my app. process before I head back to work. Most everything can be done online, so I plan on getting that taken care of this week. I'm crossing my fingers that I don't have to retake the GRE. I took the test in Nov. of 2001 before I graduated from LSU, and I'm not sure if they will accept those scores from sooooooooooooo long ago :) Wish me luck!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like that your second post is exactly one month from your first. Good luck on ed. admin. and also not having to take the GRE again. I've got to take it at some point in time, but I'm procrastinating!